With an ever-growing number of seniors wanting to stay in their homes and remain independent, ensuring safe and accessible bathrooms becomes more important. At Virginia Restoration Services, we keep our customers’ needs in mind with every bathroom remodel. Consider these key factors when remodeling your bathroom for accessibility and safety. Even if you don’t need all of these supports yet, thinking ahead and preparing your home is always a good idea.
Top 4 Tips for a Safe & Accessible Bathroom Remodel
- When selecting flooring, be sure to choose a material that is non-slip whether wet or dry. Tile refinishing to add a non-slip texture can be done at a fraction of the cost of tearing out and replacing your flooring. Avoid adding rugs and mats that can create additional hazards for tripping or slipping.
- Add grab bars or shower rails anywhere where you may need support for balance, such as in the tub or shower, and where you go from sitting to standing, such as next to the toilet.
- Getting in and out of the bathtub or shower safely can become challenging as we age. For those who need a roll-in option, a wet room or barrier-free shower may be needed. For others, a walk-in tub may be just the right fit. At Virginia Restoration Services, we can convert your existing bathtub into a walk-in shower by lowering the lip down to just 6 inches high, and it only takes about a day. Other safety conversions for the tub or shower include applying a non-skid surface and installing a shower seat and hand-held showerhead.
- Before you start a bathroom remodel, ask your contractor about their knowledge of accessibility standards. It’s important to work with an experienced professional.
In addition to the key points discussed above, several other factors should be considered, such as:
- Width of doorways
- Lever handles instead of doorknobs
- Rocker-style light switches or motion sensors for lighting
- Toilet height and ease of reach to toilet roll
- Ease of access to sink when using a walker or wheelchair
- Unencumbered space to move around easily alone or with a caregiver
At Virginia Restoration Services, our customers’ safety and satisfaction are our top priorities. Let us take care of the details so you can have some peace of mind, knowing your bathroom remodel will help you or your loved one safely stay in your home. Call us at (804) 220-5185 to discuss accessible bathroom conversions, kitchen remodeling, or any of our refinishing services. We are based in Richmond and also serve Fredericksburg and Petersburg, Virginia, as well as Washington, D.C.